Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sleepless nights, shower management and what you really forgot (twice...)

So last night I confirmed that I really do hate soft mattresses. Growing up Mom had this theory that a hard mattress would be better for our backs (umm....5 years in a back brace and two titanium rods screwed into my spine might say otherwise but....). So here I am in this pretty room in Massachusetts with this luxury pillowtop mattress....and its 2am and I'm miserable. Thankfully we had separate rooms so I could toss, turn and curse to my heart's content about the woman damned me to miss out on the luxury that is the pillowtop. Sometime around 3 am I finally fell into a deep sleep to dream about hospitals, rowing and thunderstorms. Thanks melatonin for finally kicking in!
At 7:15 my in room phone rang to the melodious tones of Mom singing "Gooood Mooorning!" with the happy note that she gave me an extra 15 minutes! Thanks, Mom! But it was my idea to get an early start as we've got another 5 hour drive to get to Bar Harbor today and I'm anxious to get the driving over with! So into the shower I go! They only had handicapped rooms left and while my bathroom would probably have been better equipped for my Dad (walk in shower instead of tub) it was a further walk from the lobby. I didn't quite notice the two shower heads and turned on what i thought would turn on the handheld shower....WRONG. Sprayed in the face with icy cold water from the higher shower head I didn't see! Well that's a great way to wake up in the morning! I adjusted it pretty quick and actually managed to have a pretty nice shower all things considered. Except I don't understand with walk-in showers why they don't friggen tilt the floor so the water runs down the drain instead of all over the bathroom. If I was using crutches or supports of any kind I'd have busted my ass big time trying to navigate the wet floor (heck I'd do that without supports too....).
So I'm showered, dressed and now I realized that I forgot a hairbrush and socks. Sock solution is easy - steal from Mom and Dad. Hairbrush solution for the moment is fingers and pigtails. But it does mean a trip to a drug store is in our future. Which is good because I hear they sell vodka cheap in drug stores in Maine and I have a feeling I'm going to need it.
Survival Tip: When you double back to get your forgotten purse, you should also pick up other things you forgot including more sleeping pills.....

No comments:

Post a Comment